Monday, December 21, 2009

The Christmas Stockings



This week I am sharing the stockings
I have made for my daughter's family over the years.

Shortly after Angie and Ben got married,
I made them each a stocking.

I bought a goldish heavy wool coat at the thrift store,
and a wool skirt that was a dark kind of burgundy color.
I made the base of the stocking out of the heavy wool,
and added a cuff with their names embroidered on each one.

A heart for Angie....


and a star, patch and old button for Ben.



Five years later sweet Isabel arrived.
Her stocking has a stenciled snowman,
and a heart and small button next to her name.



Then our little Ava 4 years later.
Her stocking has a stenciled angel,
with a little heart next to her name, and patchwork heal
and toe out of the wool skirt.



By now those coat and skirt pieces
were getting smaller and smaller,
and that was not a problem since we thought they were done
adding to their family.


Then along came number 3.
I had to get more creative now,
as I was running our of cute and different ideas for all those stockings.
(sure glad I am too frugal to throw anything away!)

So our little guy has a tree and star button on his,
and that just about used up all the fabric, but little scraps.



Then Lo and behold, number 4 came along 2 1/2 years later!!!
Our sweet little granddaughter Rowan.

With just tiny pieces left,
I was off to the thrift store again.
How fortunate to find another piece of fabric
almost identical to the wool coat iIhad started with 9 years before.

Rowan's stocking is a little gingerbread man,
with hearts all around.

Since Ben and Angie never found out ahead what they were having,
and since this one was to come along right before Christmas,
I embroidered two tops with the two names they had chosen, for boy or girl.
Then I quickly sewed on the one for little Rowan
so she would have it when she got home.


So that is my thrifty second time around
and 3 or more for today.

May your stockings be filled with the
joy of the birth of Jesus,
and the Blessings of Peace and Hope, and Love.

Barbara jean

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm joining in on these parties today.
Please go see all the other wonders, and thank
our hostesses for their time in hosting.

Three or More Tuesday

Three or More Tuesday


The DIY Show Off



A Soft Place to Land

ASPTL

Deck the Halls on Tuesdays Starting December 1

13 comments:

Angela Harris said...

Absolutely darling! I really would like to do this for my kids. I could probably knock it out in a couple nights :) THank you for the inspiration! And thank you for coming to say hi!
~angela

Old Time Cindy said...

This post made me smile. Makes a good start for my day. Merry Christmas!
Living it up at Lakewood,
Cindy

ClassyChassy said...

What fun stockings! My mom made stockings for us 3 kids, out of red felt....each had a different animal on it. Mine had a rocking horse, of course - - made long before she knew what a horse lover I would be! Perhaps it predicted my future obsession?? Hmmmmm.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

You did a great job on the stockings.
Merry Christmas to you and your family.

shannon said...

Very cute!

Lori said...

This is wonderful! Who would've thought you'd get so much from a coat and a skirt! I'm sure these stockings will be treasured for many many years!

Carrie said...

What wonderful use of the fabrics...your designs are really special.
Merry Christmas to you and yours,
Carrie

My post:
http://carolanativitygallery.blogspot.com/2009/12/advent-calendars.html

cindy-stitches-n-stuff.blogspot.com said...

Very cute, can't believe that you held onto that wool for 9 years. Amazing. I finally found some flannel yesterday and I am, as we speek, making me and hubby a new stocking. I've made many for my family, now that their gone, I want me and john to have new ones that will last us the rest of our lives. I love what you do.

cindy@stitches

Sharlotte said...

Oh my, what special stockings! You are so very creative...I'm sure they are treasured items, especially since you've lovingly crafted them! I think it's neat that you made them from thrifty finds! Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas!

Jessica said...

I love these! I hope these inspire me enough to make my own cute stocking for my family. I love having homemade decorations around the house.

Helen said...

What a sweetheart you are!

Happy Holidays ............

Holly said...

Barbara Jean, those are just adorable! They will really treasure these. My siblings and I all have stockings knit by our great-aunt, and all of our children have stockings crocheted by their great-grandma.

Charity said...

WHAT PRETTY STOCKINGS. THANKS FOR SHARING. MERRY CHRISTMAS