Thursday, April 18, 2013

More Little "Secrets"

 Well, not really secrets.
You all know I share everything I learn with you.=)
So, I got these two bags of new little clothespins. (above)

New just does not cut it in my little vintage shop,
so I wondered how I could make them look old.
Yes, we could just lay them out in the sun, and in a few months (years)
 they would probably be grayed up like old ones.
But I wanted them to look old NOW!

 So I wondered what would happen if I dunked them in my
old rust/patina vinegar/salt solution... (TUTORIAL HERE)
And guess what......


It worked perfectly! (always test with one item before you do a whole batch)
I left them in a couple of days, kind of 'mixing' them around
every so often.....

and they are perfect.
Well, except for the vinegar smell. ew!
So I rinsed them. still smelled...=(

Then I laid them out in the sun for a couple of days.
That did it!!!
Now my 'aged' clothespins not only look cool
but they smell good now too.
Just like they'd been on the line for years. =)

Blessings
Barb
disclaimer, sort of:
I have not tried this with new vinegar, just my old dirty stuff. 
If you try it with new, please let me know how it works.
thanks

joining some of these fun parties today:

Beyond The Picket Fence

 

12 comments:

Shabby chic Sandy said...

Those turned out great--love the aged look. I hate the smell of vinegar--good to know it goes away!

farmhouse-story said...

they look great! have a great weekend, barb!

Pam@OurAdventuresInHomeImprovement said...

They look great! I use a similar aging solution of apple cider vinegar and steel wool to get that color. I love the idea of aging clothespins. :)

Have a great weekend!
Pam

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing, I am inspired.
I will visit your solution post and get started right away.
I love old clothes pins.

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Hi Jean, visiting from Common Ground. Great way to age clothes pins, I pinned too. Thanks.
Joy

Joy@aVintageGreen said...

Sorry, should have written you full name, Barbara Jean, when I commented.
Joy

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

What great timing Barb! I just purchased an Old unopened bag of these at the JUNK BONANZA in MPLS. So I will use your tip on distressing them. Enjoy the weekend. We are hoping for WARMTH..snow last night, hight winds and COLD.

Unknown said...

Smart girl. I just leave some out on the line through the winter....ha, ha!

Okio B Designs said...

Totally going to try this! I see a company that sells lavender infused clothes pins and I'm so dying to try something like that too!

Jeanine

The Polka Dot Closet said...

LOve this, they look 100 years old!

Carol

Laurel@ChippingwithCharm said...

Hahaha...yep, i know that smell :) I made some too a while back. The smell went away in a couple weeks...or maybe I got used to it ;)

Shopgirl said...

now you have done it! I can hardly wait to age something. Thank you for sharing this. They look great and old. Have a sweet spring, Mary